The mission of this department is to provide a comprehensive Gastroenterology service with the help of modern technology and a humane touch.
A. Medical Gastroenterology and HepatologyThis section deals with various medical problems in Gastroenterology in the outpatient, inpatient, and emergency services setting. The doctors have expertise in the management of the full spectrum of gastrointestinal, liver and pancreatico-biliary diseases. This includes, but is not restricted to, disorders like inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, malabsorption syndrome, gastrointestinal bleed, chronic diarrhea, constipation, peptic ulcer, reflux disease, acute liver failure, chronic liver disease (viral, alcoholic and others), portal hypertension, bilio-pancreatic disorders and malignancies.
B. Pediatric GastroenterologyThis is a subspecialty in medical gastroenterology that deals with children suffering from various disorders like chronic constipation, Hirschsprung’s disease, malabsorption syndrome, acute viral hepatitis, inborn errors of metabolism, Wilson’s disease, pediatric inflammatory bowel diseases.
C. Interventional GastroenterologyWe have a well-equipped endoscopy department where diagnostic, therapeutic as well as emergency procedures in Gastroenterology are performed. We also perform procedures like percutaneous and transjugular liver biopsy, HVPG monitoring and TIPSS placement. The procedures most commonly performed include:
- UGI Endoscopy:
Examination of the upper gastrointestinal tract using a flexible video-endoscope.
- Diagnostic – for disorders like acid-peptic disease, H. pylori infection, gastro-esophageal reflux disease, cancers of the esophagus and stomach.
- Therapeutic – for management of emergencies like variceal bleeding (procedures like sclerotherapy, variceal banding), endoscopic therapy for bleeding peptic ulcer by injection, application of hemoclips or thermal current, placement of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tube or jejunostomy as a feeding device for neurologically impaired individuals or those who are unable to swallow. We also perform endotherapy for early cancers and place stents for palliation of obstructive malignant lesions.
Examination of the lower gastrointestinal tract using a flexible video-endoscope.
- Diagnostic – for disorders like polyps, cancers, strictures, bleeding sites, diverticuli.
- Therapeutic – for management of colonic obstruction with stenting, endotherapy for lower gastrointestinal bleeding, and polypectomy.
- ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangio pancreatography):
This procedure involves treating various bilio-pancreatic disorders. These include obstructive jaundice caused by common bile duct stones (extraction of the stones) or relieving obstruction in bilio-pancreatic cancers by placement of plastic or metal stents. ERCP also aids in obtaining tumor tissue cytology / biopsy from the bile duct to confirm the diagnosis in suspected cases of malignancy. We also treat chronic pancreatitis and perform pseudocyst drainage in acute or chronic pancreatitis by placing plastic stents
In this procedure, pressures in the esophagus, stomach, duodenum and anorectal region are measured, aiding in diagnosis of disorders like achalasia cardia, pelvic floor dysfunction, Hirschsprung’s disease, chronic constipation and incontinence.